Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Giraffe Center

Monday I awoke excited to go to Nariobi! I had to laugh as I contrasted that with the absolute dread I felt the first time we got to Kisumu. I had determined I'd have to live out my life in Kisumu as I was NEVER going to make that trip again. Today's drive was a good trip-- about 5 hours of driving.

We went to the Mission Office and got a lot accomplished. They are always so helpful to us. We stayed with Elder and Sister N. and they were wonderful. It was so fun to get to know them!
Tuesday we took a holiday. We traveled with E and S F. whose daughter, her husband and five children had just flown in. They were so well behaved! Even the 4 year old. We went to Kazuri Beads, the Elephant Orphanage, and the Giraffe Center.
At the center, they gave us food for the giraffes and they were most interested in it. This one slurped her long tongue around my hand trying to get the food. I saw the tongue wrap around the little 4 year old's hand and the food and the hand disappear into her mouth. He looked a little surprised and eventually pulled it from the giraffe's mouth and wandered off to Mom for a little consolation.
Note said long tongue below.
You get a sense of size when you're standing not far from the giraffe.
Here is the feeding stand. We watched giraffes amble up for some munchies. One was very gentle... just a little lipping to get the small cubes of food.

I do love giraffes. They are beautiful and elegant. It was a fun day.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so cool!! I love giraffes; they are always my favorite to see at the zoo. And here you are, hand feeding them and close enough to pet them. They are so big! Miranda

    ReplyDelete