Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Quiet week-- Written Sunday 8 Aug

August slipped in and we moved past our ½ way mark. The good news is that I think my one pair of sandals will last another 9 months. The bad news is that we have a LOT to accomplish and better hurry up and get to work. Alas, the speed can only be as fast as our learners and somehow they can’t learn what it took me 30 years to learn in a few months.

Wednesday, August 4 was Kenya Election Day. There was a bit of concern as the last election had been marred by violence and so we were asked to stay in on Wednesday and Thursday. All was quiet and the election went smoothly, but we were obedient. Tom worked on financial stuff to get ready for the audit. We planned kid’s trips here and looked at maps and time schedules. We wrote up scripture mastery pages as we want to let our seminary students who memorize the Book of Mormon scriptures earn a triple combination so they will have the Doctrine and Covenants for next year’s course of instruction. I started working on a bed sized quilt to cover the bed in our office.

And I read two books, both of which I will recommend to you. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne is a masterful book where the reader sees and understands truths the main character never comprehends and you are caught off guard with a powerful ending. It’s a quick read but leaves you thinking. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson is a powerful book! I stayed up way… way… did I mention… WAY late reading it. It’s non-fiction for Pete sakes. How could it be so gripping? Nonetheless, it’s about an amazingly unconventional man who takes incredible risks to fulfill his passion of helping poor in remote villages. It’s co-authored and I was astonished at how the author brought the senses and richness of foreign countries to life. This book changes attitudes. I recommend it for your reading groups. No doubt you’ll have more self control than I and can read it at a leisurely pace. Surely. And if not, you’ll have gobbled down a terrific book! Yum!

Saturday morning we awoke to no phone line, ergo, no internet. We’ve gotten better about not waiting and calling promptly. However, a line somewhere in Milimani was cut and they need to get parts and probably Tuesday is the earliest we will see our internet restored. Probably Tuesday is the earliest you’ll see this post, too. Saturday afternoon I had my music class. Some of my students are quick learners, but I have one sweet man, sigh; if he learns to direct music that will be an accomplishment. The nuances of quarter notes, and eighth notes-- not to mention dotted notes-- seems to be unfathomable. I think he learns some each time though, and he is very patient. Sort of like a glacier.

Today, Sunday, went well. I was blessed to not totally massacre the music. You know, if 90% of the hymn melody is recognizable, it’s a good day. Hey, that’s a better percentage than Home Teaching, isn’t it? It would really help if I could get the hymns for next Sunday and practice. Well, I expect it would really help if I would just practice.

The Young Women are preparing for their first ever Girl’s Camp—which will actually be a day at the church. Talk about cooking skills. They plan to teach chappti making (like tortillas only fluffier and with more oil) and cooking chicken. Of course, they’re starting with a live chicken. They will also listen to the young women’s broadcast, make necklaces to string their Young Women medallion on, work on personal progress, play volleyball, and maybe even do some service cleaning the church. Oh to be young and vigorous!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I just picked up the book "Cups of Tea" while in FLorida. It IS good! And it does give great insight about the country. Should be required reading for the military, but alas..... And It was quite gripping.

    ReplyDelete