Friday, September 3, 2010

Art Work

This is the view from my computer desk. I am pleased with the way the quilt or bedspread came out. My goal was to show the women of the branch that they could take 200 shillings (about $2.50) in scraps and make something useful. Actually the backing was another 250 shillings and I bought the black fabric because I wanted uniformity. Well, I use the term "uniformity" loosely. There is a kind of cohesion to the piece.I tried to continue the same fabric in strips in the same order from top to bottom. This photo is when 4 of the 6 panels were completed. I stitched them together, then covered the seam with the strip of black. Here is the completed project. As I took the photo, Tom was complaining about the ugly mosquito netting. I decided it really was an art form of its own and sometimes reflected the Mission Life. You see, it's prepared to serve. It's capable of serving, but right now it's all wrapped up in itself . Or maybe it's all tied up in knots. Sometimes we feel frustrated in that we want to serve, we think we have an excellent way to serve, but that service doesn't seem valuable or necessary to others. Like the mosquito net, we're willing, but the net's owner says you're not needed just now. Still, there is hope. At any moment the net is prepared to function, to serve, to fulfill its purpose. And hopefully, so are we.

3 comments:

  1. I love the colors of scraps you used. It will be cherished for a long time, if not by you someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt. Arent' the bright, quality African fabrics wonderful! It's the only thing in the Congo that I can truly say is quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt! I only wish we had had a chance to use it! We miss the mission! And we miss all the wonderful people we met there, including the couples. Love your blog, too! I really like the "symbolism of the mosquito net!"

    ReplyDelete