Thursday, October 14, 2010

Kitchen Janga

Our kitchen sports one lonely dish-drying rack and Elder Fox is the chief dishwasher. He does it because he has tough hands. Why the need for tough hands? Because we begin with boiling water. Just boiling water in one basin with soap and in the next basin with Jix (bleach). It's a little too hot for me!

However Elder Fox is an artist. He has perfected the skill of stacking every dish, plate, spatula, fork, cutting board, knife, pan, serving bowl and mixing container into this one, solitary rack. Well, glasses have permission to rest along the edge.

I usually wait a bit before drying them... or not drying them just putting them away. The heat from the water usually dries them well. However, the game is to be able to dismantle the construction without causing a "collapse". This avoids the possibility of unhappy consequences to the glasses (note the variety of partial sets). It also provides the evening's entertainment. If you can pull items off without a "Ca-clunk!" You win. Try it! It may be your entertainment, too! (You may be wondering about the plastic bags. They are scarce here and our part in not adding to the plastic bags dotting the landscape.)

On a slightly different artistic note, I decided to get adventurous and try some strip quilting. It lends itself to the kind of scraps I have. I thought to do a pillow cover, but the squares turned out a bit too large, so I did another quilt. Sometimes our days are so upside-down that we really don't know when we are doing what. It's easier to wait for people and things when I have something to do. I think Elder Fox was doing some Branch Presidency training while I was working on this.

1 comment:

  1. Sandy:
    I LOVE the quilt! Easy pattern, but made beautiful by your skillful layout of fabrics!

    Darcy

    ReplyDelete