Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It’s Still Interesting

Life has been interesting since Andy and Kera and Family left. We had made plans for that week, but then we learned that Elder L. Whitney Clayton of the Presidency of the 70 and Elder Koelliker the South- East Africa Area President were coming to Nairobi for a Mission Tour and all Missionaries from Kenya were to be in Nairobi on Friday. So we decided to stay in Nairobi for the week.
Tuesday I laboriously wrote out Visa applications for our people going to the temple. Then we went to the service center. Wednesday we went to Jogo market and the service center and got a lot done. Thursday we made a cake and lasagna. We also met with Josephine who makes the lovely necklaces. Thursday night we went to dinner (and took our lasagna) at President Broadbent’s house and met with the general authorities. Elder Fox and I were blessed to sit next to the Claytons. They are delightful people and we had a lovely conversation. After dinner they opened it up to questions for the church leaders.

We were up early on Friday and had a grand Mission Tour Conference. Again, Elder Clayton opened the meeting for questions from the young missionaries and we learned a lot. Of course after being spiritually fed, the missionaries got temporal food.

After lunch I was able to connect some of the sisters with Josephine so they could get great necklaces, too. Friday night we laundered and packed and Saturday we headed home.


We lead the way and the E/S Tuttle, the LDS Charities missionary couple, followed us. This was their first time out of Nairobi. They’ve been on their mission just a month and are still getting their feet wet… almost literally. They are looking at water projects. We arrived home in Kisumu at the tail end of the Relief Society Birthday Party.



We had good church meetings on Sunday and on Monday we took the the Tuttles to Homa Bay to see where the neonatal training will be held later this spring. They spoke to the water monitor down there. The bay was lovely as was the drive.




Tuesday Susan Kanga and I taught a Self-Employment workshop from 9-3:30 and E. Fox stayed in to work on our seminary activity planned for 9 April. Tuesday night at 5-6:30 we held our usual Institute class. We sent the Tuttles off to Busia in the morning to look at spring projects. It’s been a long day and I be tired!

Tomorrow we will go with the Tuttles to Mbale for the second neonatal training site, and then on towards Kitale so we can show them the way. Then the Beechers will help them find latrine project and other needs in the Kitale area. Thursday will be the second day of the Self Employment Workshop. I have not seen this workshop, so I’ve really had to study from the book and prepare.

When I was with Josephine I got some string and beads to crochet a necklace. I had hoped to bring back one of Josephine’s to show my ladies here, but it wasn’t there. So I’m busy trying to crochet one. Akk! My crocheting is lousy! I hope the uneven stitches add to the charm and uniqueness of the necklace. It is something I can do when I’m really tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment