Friday, March 26, 2010

Opposition in all Things

"For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so... righteous could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad." 2 Nephi 2:11 Book of Mormon

We horded water. We took bucket showers. We listened for the music of trickling city water falling into our tank. We checked the water level. And at last our tanks are all filled-- both top and bottom. There is much rejoicing.

I think we need opposition and lack to appreciate what we have. I would not love a hot shower so much, had I not had one for a time. I appreciate the internet more when I can't connect with people I love because it's down.

One of the blessings of being in Africa is that one sees how much one can live without and still have joy and be happy and live a good life. I sometimes think that people who have everything, who don't experience opposition in things, forget to appreciate what they have. They accept it as their due and often are resentful they don't have more.

May I suggest you count your blessings. Stop. Don't ask for anything. Just remember with gratitude what you do have-- arms, legs, freedom, ability to breath easily, eyes that see-- we have SO MUCH! You'll feel so much happier.

I have WATER! and electricity, and Internet connection and a functioning computer (if I overlook the daily shut down because Internet explorer freezes up.) A safe, snug house, a wonderful 4 wheel drive truck (more about that later.) A fantastic husband. Plenty of food to eat. Health. Ah. Life is good! Thank you Lord.

1 comment:

  1. I'm relieved to hear you have water again! That is one of those little necessities you don't want to be without for too long! :)

    ReplyDelete