Friday, March 19, 2010

Walking

We have a new first for this week. When we first came to Kenya we felt a bit apprehensive. Were we safe? What was good security? What was foolishness? Sometimes when we stopped the car to buy things we were crowded with eager sellers. But as we’ve settled in, things have become more familiar.

So Monday we decided to walk to the 24hr Nakumatt area downtown. It may be ¾ of a mile. So we set off. First good thing—I felt like I got my bearings better than when we drive. Second, we wandered past a variety of shops and unless we lingered and expressed an interest, we were allowed to wander undisturbed. We went to the Posta— Kenya’s post off ice-- and were so sad to see we still had an empty mail box! We stopped to get photos developed. We traversed the vegetable market and got lost in the “stage” where people get matatus to take them to different towns.
I resisted the roses that seem to wilt after two days. I almost bought a dress, but it was the wrong size. We succumbed to three pens, some Swiss Braided bread, and a length of fabric that women use as scarf, shawl, baby carrier, apron, and wrap. As you can guess, it’s wonderfully bright!


I put to use my new sense of direction as I came back from Kondeli market on Tuesday after meeting with Susan’s Savings and Credit Cooperative. There we discussed how we could help some of the church members with micro-loans. We took a matatu back to the center of town and then I went “by foot” home and got there just in time to teach institute.

-

Thursday we decided to walk to town again. I think it’s to avoid the 40 shilling parking fee that Tom hates. But I’m okay with it as I need the exercise. We visited a lady who will be baptized on Saturday at her work. We went to another place and visited with a lady who promised to come to church on Sunday. One of the fun things about walking, is that you get a chance to share the gospel with so many people. They see your name tag and ask. It says Jesus Christ on it, and it touches people’s hearts. It also reminds me that if I am to wear the Savior’s name, I need to be a good example and act as he would have me act. We taught a few lessons. This is one with Geoffrey and his wife. they are wonderful people!

But we had a number of appointments cancel this week. Sigh. Somehow the “less” that we have to do, still takes up all our time. We are preparing to teach a Temple preparation class at both Kisumu and Busia. People are so excited about preparing to go to the temple. The closest Temple is in Johannesburg, South Africa and it’s likely to be a once in a lifetime trip to the temple… unless one eventually is built in Nairobi.

2 comments:

  1. Walking "by foot" there sounds kind of overwhelming and scary to me! And I can't imagine how dirty your feet can get! It's so interesting to hear about the different world you are experiencing over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that you have overcome your initial concerns and that it turned out so well! And it sounds awfully fun and adventurous! Miranda

    ReplyDelete