Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mangoes

Mangoes are truly a gift from God. Without any effort on any person's part, the trees grow, flower, fruit and then drop the fruit. Well, sometimes you need a stick to knock them down. Other times we hear a ThunK as they land on the tin roof. I'd hate for one to drop on my head.
The trees are kind enough to not have all the fruit mature all at once. I think we've had mangoes for about 3 weeks now and the trees are still producing.
When hungry people come to the gate, we invite them to help themselves. When the primary children get hungry after church, we open the gate and let them forage for mangoes. Our guard collects some each night and the gardener gathers in the day. Sometimes Dr. Geoffrey sends Benard over to collect and haul bags full back to his home and clinic.
I have mangoes for breakfast. And still the trees are loaded with mangoes. I think Kenya must be part of the Garden of Edan.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... just think back to the days of child blight on your garden and other unsuccessful gardening ventures.... This is really great! Too bad we didn't put mangoes in our garden back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love mangoes! I learned to love them in the Philippines and was THRILLED to find that they also grew in Kenya! Eat some for me! Yum!

    ReplyDelete