Tuesday, November 2, 2010

One Year Anniversary

Tuesday Nov 2 was the anniversary of our mission. One year. I've decided I must have been in the military too long. I love beginnings, middles, and endings. Or maybe that's the writer in me. When you know you only have a certain time in one place it's more vivid. You have to capture the beauty, the excitement, the drama of the place because you won't have it forever.

All the experiences the sweet and the bitter are more vibrant because of the snapshot of time. Each sunset needs to be admired. Each turn in the road where the hills fall away and the lush vegetation sprouts around the rocks needs to be cherished. Even the difficult times are more tolerable because there is an end in sight.

When we were in the military and times were tough or I didn't like some thing, I'd think, no problem, in 2 years... or 6 months... or whatever, I'll move and it won't be there anymore. When we finally settled down, I had to learn that if I had problems with someone, I had to get over it! I wasn't going to move away from it. But I think in the continuum of time-- with no established beginning or end-- one tends to think there is time enough for everything. No rush. It will be there tomorrow, or next week, or in 10 years.

But on a mission, it won't. Time is of the essence. You only have so much time and then it's over. Done. So every moment matters. Every face, every friend, every responsibility, every event stands as a pristine jewel to be cherished and packed carefully away in memory. I see the slippery slope of the end of the mission and I think: Hurry! Do it all! Make every moment count! It will soon be over.... and have we done all that we could have done? I want to be able to answer, "Yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment