Friday, December 3, 2010

I hope they call me on a Mission…

At the Couples conference several of us discussed: Is there anything else we could do—any other calling-- that would be as meaningful as this? Hands down, the answer was NO. The amazing sense is that we’re helping lives to change, we’re pioneering a new area, we are blessing people in a way that could not happen any other way. This is not said in any sense of bragging, it’s said with an urgent appeal for you to consider: Will you go on a Mission? If you are 19-25, single and worthy, will you go now? If you are a couple with grown kids and retired- will you go now? If you are a couple and not retired—will you make plans and prepare to go?

“…the field IS ripe and ready to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might…bringeth salvation to his soul.” And her soul, too.

What is stopping you from going? Fears about health. Fears about finances. Fears about leaving family. Faith casts out fear. Trust the Lord. Sure stuff happens. It happens if you are there or not. But the Lord can take better care of your family than you can. If you prayerfully go to his with your concerns about finances or health or family, he will help you with them. A way is made if you are faithful and determined.

Many missionaries have commented on how their families have gone through trials, but been vastly blessed while on their mission. Surgeries that went well. Wayward children returned and happily married. And with blogs and skype and email, you’re not all that far from family even on the other side of the world.

At the Couples conference we watched as Elder and Sister P. teared up each time they spoke of going home. They leave in December.


Our fabulous PEF couple, Elder and Sister F. leave in February.Our powerful couple in Mombasa where he’s acted as branch president and increased the branch from less than 30 to over 90 leaves in March.

Elder and Sister B who have driven the winding hills of Kulinga and shepherded four, going on 5 branches is leaving in April. Here they are with a family they took to the temple in Johannesburg, S. Africa.We, who assist and oversee two branches in Western Kenya, leave in May.
Elder and Sister B, who have supported and strengthened the three branches in Dar Es Salam and all the outlying branches in Tanzania leave in June. Elder B also acts as counselor to the Mission President. AND THERE ARE FEW COUPLES COMING IN TO REPLACE US! WHO WILL CONTINUE THE WORK?

One definition of missionaries are those who leave their families for a short time so others can be with their families for eternity.

Each of these couples quietly and humbly left their homes, their families, their hobbies, their doctors, their dogs—and just went. They learned, they grew, they stretched and did things they didn’t know they could do. And the joy is great. The satisfaction is immeasurable. The warm and heart-rending experiences can only be understood by others who have served missions.

This is one of my favorite scriptures! I love being blessed in ALL things, both temporal and spiritual.

“And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God that spoken it.” Mosiah 2:41

4 comments:

  1. The thing I realized with your first mission was that we would still have trials. You serving blessed us immensely, but I still had hard stuff happen. The difference was, I could see the hand of the Lord in those trials and I wondered if I could have endured it had you not been on your mission. I'm not sure that came out quite like it sounded in my head! I just know that my family is immeasurably blessed because of your service, and no matter what trials happen while you are away, the Lord takes care of us. And while I miss you, I am so glad you chose to set an example for us and the kids by serving the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you are serving a mission too! You are important to me and I've definitely missed having you here several times, but I know that we have been blessed because of your sacrifice! Thank you for being so obedient and doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those sweet pictures of all of our dear, dear friends from Kenya. I couldn't stop the tears as I thought of all of the sweet experiences we have had with each of you! We had the most wonderful mission because we have lived next to or stayed with every one of the couples going home. My heart (and my eyes) overflowed with love as I thought of the sweet blessing of knowing all of you and being inspired by your good works. How the Lord has blessed us all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elder and Sister Burgener wrote to me and said: "We know there are sins of commission and sins of omission. We have heard there is a third kind of sin--no mission."

    ReplyDelete