Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tender Mercies of the Lord

“I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen…” (1 Nephi 1:20)

I have found some amazing blessings as I’ve served this mission. Tiny miracles. Tender Mercies of the Lord. These tender mercies don’t make a life of ease, but they ease the life I have.

Elder David A. Bednar and apostle of the Lord says, “The Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindness, consolation, support and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ…. …they are real. They do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence.”

I was thinking this morning of three ways I have been blessed. They are simple and may seem small, but they have immeasurably helped me serve more cheerfully here in Africa.

I could never sleep when it was too light. I needed it to be dark or I needed a sleep mask. But here there are many security lights that keep things brighter. And a sleep mask makes for a sweaty face. I realized I can now sleep in the sort-of-dark. Even if I wake in the night and it’s not dark, I can go back to sleep. I am SO grateful for that good sleep.

I have a VERY sensitive nose. I can walk by minutes after someone lit a match and smell it. And bad smells bother me. Here in Africa people are amazingly clean considering the conditions they live in. Their clothing is well groomed, their person clean. However, it’s hot; people work hard. And they sweat. And when you get a lot of people in one place or in an enclosed place, it’s clear they are a hard working people. And sometimes at latrines and other places there are smells of urine or dung and with the animals, barnyard smells. But I find it does not bother me. I think, what hard working people. And sometimes, after a day being out and about, my deodorant has worn off. And I think, no problem, no one will notice one more smell.

*

My feet have high arches, and I have had to wear shoes with supports for years. If I don’t, my feet ache. But here, I often wear sandals. And the ones I got just before I left on the mission were closed toe, as needed to comply with missionary standards, but they didn’t have arch support. Nevertheless, my feet have not bothered me at all.

*

I know the Lord has blessed me with these and many other Tender Mercies. And I am so grateful. My challenge to you is for you to look for places in your life when the Lord has showed you His Tender Mercies. And be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing about your Tender Mercies. A friend of mine on her blog has "Tender Mercies Tuesdays" and writes about one every week. It's great to have that weekly reminder and focus.

    ReplyDelete