Saturday, April 17, 2010

Henrietta and other events

We had a wonderful time on Thursday! The visits, the wheel chair event were very moving. As we brought the chicken home, however, we were faced with a dilemma. The branch president volunteered to show us how to prepare it for food. And I actually thought we would do that. But then, we got to thinking. Others had much more needs than we did. And then Tom went and named her.We can't keep pets according to mission rules. But here she is tied up in our patio. I'm feeding her oatmeal, rice, corn meal and vegetable scraps-- probably not a healthy diet. So something needs to be done. We need to give her away. But who needed her most?

-Today we had a baptism of Jerusa. She has such a sweet family. I love the love you can see between husband and wife and children. It seems to be unusual to see love displayed. I think this is the first time I've seen a man put his arm around his wife. Life is difficult for them, and so I asked Jerusa if she thought they could use a chicken. She assured me they could. So whether Henrietta will grow up to be a layer or become dinner, I don't know. But I feel she went to a good home.Friday we went to our friend Geoffrey's house here in town. He assured me he had a lovely shamba not far from Sabatia. In proof he had his grandchildren give me these lovely avocados. We always feel blessed when we visit him and his lovely wife and great family.You might think this is a wrap but it's actually an apron. Or it could be a skirt, or a shawl. This was my wonderful African fabric I bought a few weeks ago and it does a great job of covering all of me when I'm cooking.My African sisters are all excited about quilting. Their eyes light up and they say, "You have taught me a new thing!" So we will see. I'm looking forward to seeing their first creations. In the mean time, this is my sampler from the scraps of fabric from the dress Busia sisters are making for me. I think I will be able to pick up a treadle sewing machine when we next go to Nairobi. Then the branch sisters can use it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you don't have to suppress your preferred clothing colors! :) I love the fabrics. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a chance to catch up on all of you recent blogs. It was wonderful to share your adventures. Thanks for sharing. I love the humanitarian projects. I find them most inspiring.

    ReplyDelete