Thursday, April 15, 2010

New uses of words

I am so impressed with the linguistic talents of Africans. Here most people speak three languages. If I were not convinced I'm a child of God and loved by Him... I might start to feel inferior. After all. It's taken us 4 months to learn Habari yako (How are you... and I probably haven't spelled it right.) Misuri (Fine) and Asanta (thank you.)
-
But even English has words that are used in a different way. Some are so useful, I've actually found myself starting to use them:
-
Mobilize-- to activate, gain consensus and move forward. As in: We need to mobilize the branch to clean the building each Saturday.
-
Sensitize-- to make people aware, to inform or educate. As in: We must sensitize the members on the importance of Home Teaching.
-
Infestation-- to have a large population of. As in: There is a large infestation of [a certain religion his mother belongs to] in this area. I hope one day there will be a large infestation of Latter-day Saints there, too.

1 comment: