Monday, December 7, 2009

Julia Child wannabe-- Kenyan Style

I've learned how to cook two things here I thought I'd share with you. The first is Green Bananas-- probably called Plantains back home.

Sautee 2 chopped onions
Add chopped tomatoes--roma maybe 5-6
Add some parsley-- fresh or dried
Peel and slice the green bananas. Add them to the mixture.
Add enough water so they can simmer for 20 minutes.
I didn't think I'd like green bananas, but actually they taste like potatoes, but a little sweeter.
Mangos-- How to cut up.
I learned this from Sis Randall who learned this on her mission in the Philippines.
I suppose you don't need to wash them in Jix-- or bleach as we do, but wash them
Orient the mango stem up and cut along the sides of the pit on both sides.
Score the mango tic-tack-toe style through the flesh but not the skin.
Then take a spoon and scoop out the squares of mango from the side pieces.
Peel the skin from aound the seed and either cut the flesh off or just munch it off.
It's slick! Note the colorful kitchen counter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment