Friday, May 21, 2010

Conversion Stories

The mission president's wife has been collecting the conversion stories of the women of Kenya and Tanzania. I have had the privilege of helping out here in Kisumu. I love typing the stories as the women share them with me.

Joan-- pronounced Jo-an-- was baptized last Saturday.
This is her story:

I met the Elders the first time around the 2 or 4th of April. I met Elder Hays and Elder Lipengah along the road and they taught me about the gospel. From that day I promised them, “On Sunday I’ll come to the church.” I had gone to many different churches. I was looking to find the right thing for me. On Sunday when I come to church I met different things. When I came to this church first I felt love here. All people welcomed the visitors. And even my heart liked here so much. So I decided to welcome the missionaries to my house.

They came to my house and they taught me about the Book of Mormon and they gave me the book. But the question I asked them is, “What’s the meaning of Mormon and what’s the meaning of this book?” Lipengah said that Mormon is the name which is inside this book. And this book is another Testament of Jesus. If you read it you will find the answers inside this book. But first pray before you read it, so that your question will be answered if this book is true or not. So after that, I took my opportunity to pray. Each night I prayed for an hour. I didn't open the book. I didn’t start reading the book. I wanted to know if it was true or not before I started reading it. I prayed for three days. After 3 days when I finished praying. I heard a voice saying, “This is the true church and I am the living God and this is my book.” When I finished this prayer, I was told to read Mosiah 26:22. After that I started crying.

[Mosiah 26:22 says: For behold, this is my church; whosoever is baptized shall be baptized unto repentance. And whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name; and him I will freely forgive.]

After reading this, I started crying myself. Then I said to God, “Thank you God. Now I know you love me and you answer prayers.” Then I started reading from the beginning. I’ve learned many things through this book especially faith. And many commandments are in this book.

The missionaries came back and continued to teach me. They taught me about repentance and faith. He taught me about baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost. He taught me many things. Me, always I like praying so much. And if I started praying my heart be broken so much. So when I found this church, I feel something in my heart like peace and like love. To love each other. Always I’ve been asking God, what is my talent? I like praying so much. If life is difficult to me, I can kneel down and god will never forsake me. I trust God so much.

I was baptized May 15, 2010. I became so much glad! Always I was asking Mr. Hayes, when can I be baptized? He said we have to teach you somethings first. Since I was born I have not been baptized. I really wanted to be baptized. After I was baptized I have have been so much happy and so strong. And if I remember my past things, maybe to do something wrong, something tells me “No, remember to do what is right.” Sometimes temptations are there, like I want to quarrel with somebody; I don’t because I remember the commandments are there.

My children all enjoy coming to church and even my husband. My heart is so much easy. Our family is more loving now.

I want to testify that I found the Book of Mormon is the true book. Second, I am very much happy because we have a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. And third I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet and Jesus Christ is the son of our Heavenly Father. Again, this is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a true church and I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story. This is why we're here, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete