Friday, May 7, 2010

Lessons from the Mara 5:Don’t Judge a Hippo by its Grin.

Our first visions of hippos consisted of eyes, ears, and maybe a snout. They really didn't look all that big. Even when the head rose out of the water for a quick snack of air, they didn't seem too imposing. But MY GOODNESS! When you see a hippo out of the water, they are sizable indeed!
I'm sure they must be attractive to other hippos, bu for me, their attractiveness level is somewhere between a slug and a spoiled potato. Add to that, the statistics that there are more human fatalities from hippos than from any other mammal, and I'm willing to keep my distance.
It was a little hard to see how this could be true, but I suppose that goes back to the Lesson of the Mara 3: Looks Can Be Deceiving. We heard recently of a man who had his food bitten off by a hippo. And they say hippos become irritated when someone stands between where they are and where they want to go. I guess people get trampled. After all, they’re half the size of a freight train. And the guide says they can move very fast. I wouldn’t know. Our visions were of quiet stupor.How many Hippos can you count?

They lounge in the murky water, only occasionally rising up for air. They sprawl in shallow water, occasionally grunting as they shift position. The rivers were filled with pods of hippos. At night the travel inland maybe 6-10 km to eat and eat huge amounts-- I think 100’s of kilos a night. Then they travel back to the river and spend the day floating and digesting.

If that wasn't enough to keep you out of the water, here are some more reasons:

Can you see both of the crocodiles below?

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading all of your "Mara Lessons" and quite enjoyed the photos and the dialogue! Thanks for sharing! What incredible animals you are getting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elder and Sister Fox. We just spent a couple hours of our preparation day catching up on your blog. It was well worth it considering the spiritual uplift we received from it. I must admit that as I read some of it out loud to Elder Blain, I was reduced to tears because of the overwhelming feeling of the love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ has for ALL of His children.

    We gained much appreciation for those saints in Africa and are humbled by their faithfulness despite severe challenges. They have so little in material things, yet have so much more spiritually. They seem stronger (and more joyful) in the gospel because of the sacrifices they make to be members of Christ's Church. I cannot help but compare it to the ease by which we attend Church in the states. How faithful would I be if I had to walk miles to attend meetings or assist others?

    There's nothing else like a mission for seeing more of the "big picture." !

    ReplyDelete