Sunday, May 30, 2010

Workshop Week

Some weeks and days are vivid and precise, some mush together in a vague blend of indefinite accomplishments. Or perhaps it’s the brain that fails to remember and thus it seems smudged together.

The beginning of the week had a more open calendar. I recall P-day got taken up with events, meetings or support, but I can’t recall what (see first paragraph). I think we were still helping to organize and record receipts and accurate records for the branch. Tuesday and Wednesday also galloped by. We didn’t have district meeting because of transfers, but we met to go over the list of people baptized and see who was not still active. There were only a few that we didn’t know what had happened to them. Our Branch turned one year old this week and by now, probably 3/4 have been members for less than a year. So when we go over converts, we really cover almost everyone. After, we went to lunch at Willikistar’s hotel. Here a hotel is a food establishment and a Guest House is a place to sleep. Then we visited a sister who just had a new baby.

On the fun side, we’ve discovered that we are getting comfortable here. We will walk to the open air market and buy eggs and vegetables and fruits. We are comfortable asking for prices and saying yes or no. We enjoy wandering through the shops. I found needles for the treadle sewing machine and a tailor that will save cotton scraps for quilting. I bought some fabric for a dress and now know enough to look carefully at constructed dresses to see if I want that tailor. When we were in Busia last, I chose some lovely (conservative) lace bordered fabric for a skirt and blouse.Since this is the tailor who made my last dress, I know she’ll do a good job but I want to try and find someone locally. Now we can go out and find most things we need. Tom went and got a part soldered all by himself. We have learned to sing some of the songs of the church with the Kenyan flavor of a few different notes or timing (er except when a member of the presidency “hijacks” the song by suddenly speeding up some parts faster than I can play them, then slowing back down.) We find ourselves pronouncing words with different accents and are even coming to say “twenty ten” for 2010.

We feel more at home much of the time with the needs of the area. People ask for money on the streets, or call and say, “Can I talk to you?” or come knock on the front gate. We used to cringe at times, dreading the need, the guilt, the saying no. And we still hate to say no and we still feel a great empathy for the difficult state of many people. But somehow the spirit is blessing us to remember our own limitations, to give love and compassion, and to give aid only as directed by the Spirit. I do try to buy extra food, and it has no problem finding a way into needy homes.

Wednesday evening Elder and Sister R came to stay with us. It’s always so fun to have other missionaries as company. We visit. We relate. We play skippo or Five Crowns. They taught the self-employment workshop on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Once again, it was amazingly informative. We had 19 participants and had to turn at least 3 away. I discovered that the larger the class, the longer it takes for each to participate. But all the class members learned a lot. Thursday, Sister R. was under the weather and Elder R. took the whole class. Friday was a homework day. They went into the community to interview people—either businesspeople who were doing what they wanted to do, or suppliers, or potential customers, or officials. Most were received much better than they had expected, learned a lot, and one even got offered free training. That evening we went to the funeral gathering at George’s house and sang, shared scriptures, and supported him. I listened to the class so I could teach it. Elder Fox made the 85 sandwiches to feed the group.

Saturday they finished the course learning what made successful businesses, practicing value statements, turning negatives into positives, and mock interviewing with a micro-loan officer. Tom and I left early to go and meet Caroline, someone we’d met in town who wanted us to come and see her. Time is always so fluid here, so by the time we really connected, we only had about a half hour to visit before we needed to be back at the church for Tom to interview someone and for me to meet a mama who “wanted to talk to me.” Still, we had a delightful visit. There are just some people that you love on sight and are a joy to be with. Caroline is one of those. She came to church on Sunday. You know, we don’t have the answers to all of life’s problems, but Heavenly Father does. And we can trust if we will just be obedient to what he asks us to do and if we try our best, he will show us a way to get through the trials we face. They may not disappear, but we will be guided and strengthened to endure.

Last week there were many changes in presidencies. So at 9am on Sunday, Tom went into the Priesthood Executive Meeting, and I went to the Relief Society Presidency Meeting. Then we had Sacrament meeting. Next I helped with the investigator’s class while Tom met with the Elders Quorum Presidency. Then we had combined Relief Society and Priesthood meeting and Elder Fox and I prepared a lesson on Callings—how they come, what they are, how to sustain those who are called. I don’t know how his part went; because after my part, I went down to help the new primary leadership. So I taught a spiritual thought and a few songs there. Then after primary, we had a Primary Presidency meeting while Tom taught the Temple Preparation class. After that I met with some of the sisters and then some of the elders about Elizabeth’s funeral. She needs a burial dress, they need transport to the funeral and sort of have it arranged, but I strongly encouraged them to get a contract with the person who said he would drive people out, wait, and bring them back. Nothing like finding out the price has changed or it won’t work, the morning you plan to go. Tom finished his Branch Presidency Meeting and they stayed to help do some training with the new financial clerk. He didn’t get dinner until after 6:30. Long days, but this one was most productive.

This next week will be very busy. Monday morning is the funeral service here at the church, and then we drive up country to visit Ruth who wants us to come and see her place. Tuesday we drive up country to George’s place. (The one we spent two hours looking for on our way back from Busia) and go to the burial service. We canceled Institute because it’s not likely we will be back by 5pm. Wednesday is cleaning day and I try to stay around then, but I have at least one person coming over to write their history and we will visit Caroline that evening. Thursday morning we will leave to go to Eldoret for Zone Conference and stop to visit two outlying families on the way. This means we take the really rough road to Eldoret. Not fun. Friday we have Zone Conference. Saturday we come back and there is a Relief Society activity and a branch presidency meeting for Tom.

More and more I see that living the Gospel Principles WILL bring people to prosperity. You have the principles usually associated with religion: faith, hope, love, charity, brotherly kindness, honesty, caring, trust in the Lord, etc. But you also have the principles involved with the organization of the Church. And since this is the Lord’s church, it is also His organization. These are principles of accountability, self reliance, hard work, organization, respecting and caring for others, timeliness, recordkeeping, planning ahead, scheduling, and so on. Can you see that if you apply these principles in your life—both spiritual and practical—you will be blessed? Maybe that’s why Mosiah 2:41 is one of my favorite scriptures in the Book of Mormon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I find myself somewhat overwhelmed by the amount you two do in a week and all that responsibility! I question if I will someday be up to such a gigantic and important task! I hope so. Thanks for the great example! And thanks for the birthday message for Denali yesterday. She smiled and laughed when she heard it! :) I'll post pictures and details about her birthday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Savannah! I'm exhausted just reading about your week. I thought retirement was for relaxing and doing nothing. I guess Mom did that when I was growing up and she spent all day lying in bed eating bon-bons and reading romance novels! hee hee hee!

    ReplyDelete