Monday, May 24, 2010

Faith

Sunday we had a brilliant Gospel Principles class taught by the young missionaries in Busia. It was on faith. The class had some good questions and there was some serious doctrine taught. We discussed what faith is, why we need to have faith in Jesus Christ, and how to deepen our faith. We learned how actions are the evidence of our faith. One man asked, how can you tell the difference between true faith and false faith? The answer: Who or what is the faith based on? If it’s based on Jesus Christ, the faith is placed in a true place that will never fail. Faith based in any other place is based on a human or earthly thing that can fail. (Although we do have faith in things every day—like if we work we’ll get paid, if we plant we will harvest, etc.)

And the evidence of your faith is your actions. If you say you have faith in Jesus Christ, but take a pongi and go hack up people or you go and steal, you don’t have faith in him. Faith leads to action. If you have faith in Jesus Christ, you do what he commands; you act as he would to the best of your ability. When you see people’s actions, you know what they have faith in.

I thought that comment had profound implications as we view ourselves and others-- and how we live-- vs. what we say we believe in.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful lesson!

    Although I do have a question.... What does "pongi" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like simple concepts are the most complicated. When discussing faith, I always need it fleshed out more and I realized that for me, having faith in Jesus Christ means believing that He cares for me more than I can imagine and He understands me; that His plans for me are for my good; and that if I try my hardest to do what I should, that He will make up for my inability. With that basis, I am desirous of doing all that Jesus asks. Although I sometimes forget! M

    ReplyDelete